Administered by the Armand Tatossian Foundation.

Friday, July 17, 2015

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: ONE YEAR- A Celebration of Life






Copied from Originally post on Facebook dated August 23, 2013 



It was exactly a year ago today that I unexpectedly lost my big brother. I miss my brother more than words can say.... Losing someone you love is never easy, but when their life is taken away at such a young age, it is that much more difficult. I can talk about all his achievements and career but anyone can find that information on the net... Instead I’d like to give some insight about the man, the brother, the friend, the father who lived behind the paint and thick brushstrokes. 

Armand with his son Charles on his shoulders.

My brother’s life, imitated his art, in almost every way. From his upbringing in Alexandria, Egypt, all the way to his death in Montreal August 23rd, 2012, Armand lived a life that was full and complicated and at times chaotic. Armand devoted a lifetime to the arts as an artist. He lived as an artist, he painted as an artist, and he died tragically like an artist. A teacher at heart, he could not have been more at ease than when he was teaching, advising and speaking to young aspiring artists. Growing up and throughout my adulthood, I’d watch my big brother paint with admiring fascination for hours and hours -studying each stroke and the confidence that emanated from his palette while his hand swooped across the canvas with grace and dexterity, as though he were entranced by his own ideas and imagination. But my brother defined not only pure talent, but true heart and soul as well.
Armand with his daughter Anais at her high school graduation.
Armand was a real character! He loved life and he lived every day, every moment to the fullest. He lived each day as though it was his last and he wanted those in his immediate surroundings to share in the joy he experienced. My brother was very generous, sometimes to a fault. A gregarious man, there was nothing more exciting for Armand than the prospect of a gathering. From holidays and parties to suppers with friends or family- Armand was there and was almost always the life of the party! There was no such thing as too much of a good thing for Armand when it came to meeting new friends and celebrating the old. With his carefree spirit and attitude, Armand believed in the good of people. He was very trusting - a characteristic which unfortunately got him mixed up with the wrong people at times. But even in his disappointment, Armand always had a smile on his face and always seemed to have a new story to tell. He thrived with passion, humor and style.

Supper at the home of his parents.
Clapping and singing happy birthday for his niece, Jessica.

One of the things that I most respected about my brother was his determination to live his life the way he wanted. It this same determination that led him to become the youngest artist accepted into the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts at the start of his career. Armand transcended borders. He defied definitions. Every time a box was created, he stepped out of it. He marched to a drumbeat that was entirely in his head- a characteristic that drove my parents crazy!

Fun, games and laughter with friends

Armand loved to travel and explore the world. He traveled since he graduated high school and visited many countries. But while he was a traveled at heart, family was still always very important to him. I feel blessed to have experience the unabashed love and fierce pride he had for our family. Armand was very proud of our heritage. 

Armand at his hotel room in Armenia, then part of the USSR

My big brother was always a big part of my life, and I of his. He was my hero; I truly looked up to him. My parents were older than most while I was growing up so Armand served as a second father. He never missed an event whether it was my birthday, communion, my graduation, my wedding…I could always count on Armand to be somewhere in the front row, smiling at me with pride. He affectionately called me his “baby sister”. It gave me such comfort when he said those words. I can still hear his voice inside my head…. When I was little, I kept a scrapbook of all my brother’s achievements. Every time they mentioned him in the newspaper or magazine, I’d carefully cut it out and meticulously glue it in my scrapbook. Armand was more than a brother to me. He was a father, a role model, a hero, a friend, a confidant all wrapped up in one. His example encouraged me to always take the opportunity to challenge myself, to never lose sight of my goals, to work with pride, to create with free abandon and always to explore, learn, and share. 

Armand at his mom's 70th birthday summer at sister Mary's home.

But tragically our roles changed on a dreadful day in August 2007, when he fell ill and was hospitalized. Upon release, Armand was more like a little bird with a broken wing, than the confident hero I looked up to throughout childhood. It seemed there wasn’t much hope for improvement. Nonetheless, I took him into our home, and looked after him, like a mother more than a sister. I fed him, bathed him dressed him. Armand taught me never to give up and I wasn’t going to give up on him. With a great deal of faith, love, patience, perseverance, and a bit of tough love, we were able to nurse him back to health. Not surprisingly and not long after his health improved Armand wanted to paint again. The undeniable passion for art flowed deep through Armand’s veins and there was no stopping him. It was like watching a phoenix rising from its own ashes. In fact, Armand talked about making his comeback with a new collection called just that- “The Phoenix”. But unfortunately his plans were cut short by his untimely death. 

Armand at his Tupper Street studio

It’s so sad when a man of such talent, of such capability for kindness, of such unusual artistic intelligence, should so suddenly be spirited away just a month before his 61st birthday- before he could achieve many of the things of which he was capable……

An Eternal Legacy for future generations to cherish.

One thing I can say for sure, my brother trailed creativity in abundance. His talent was a gift to the world for his enduring legacy of art and culture will live on for future generations to come. His art in all its splendour makes him immortal. He may be gone but his memory will live to be enjoyed and marvelled by future generations to come. Armand Tatossian’s art has given a voice to his life, the lives of others, and in doing so, he is immortalized- forever. 


But even so, I still miss my brother more than words can say……

Sincerely,
Mary Tatossian

“To the outside world, we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family grief’s and joys. We live outside the touch of time.”

Armand at my 30th birthday supper with his friend Holly.

** IT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN TO COPY OR REPRODUCE ANY PICTURES OR WRITING CONTAINED IN THIS ALBUM (ESPECIALLY FOR COMMERCIAL USE) WITHOUT THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF MARY TATOSSIAN. **

No comments:

Post a Comment